Material choice –plastic
- Fully recyclable – stable and widely recycled globally
- Stackable - reducing freight requirements and carbon footprint
- Fit for purpose – heat resistant, lightweight, unbreakable
- Provides low embodied energy manufacturing capabilities
- Independently tested to ensure it is BPA and BPS free
While there are alternative materials on the market, such as corn based plastics, they are not the best material for repeated use with hot liquid.
Is it recycled?
Due to worldwide food safety regulations inc.EU 10/2011, FDA CFTTitle 21 and the Japan Food Sanitation Law, the use of recycled plastic for multiple use items is not currently recommended for food-contact articles.
This is mainly due to the threat of contaminates from non-food safe chemicals throughout the recycling process. To ensure the safety of our consumers, long product life, and safety for use with hot beverages, KeepCup Original are created from polypropylene.
Material choice – glass
- We use tempered soda lime glass. The glass has been heated treated so that it is shock resistant, and when well tempered, will not break in shards. Whilst we have done our best to ensure the glass is robust and fit for purpose, it is glass, so it is breakable.
- Be cautious when washing, removing from the microwave, or placing in the fridge - rapid change between hot and cold temperatures can cause the glass to shatter. Also note that dropping the glass, even a short distance, may cause it to break depending on the angle and usage history
- Independently tested to ensure they are lead and cadmium free
- We estimate KeepCup Brew has a breakeven with disposable cups as low as 15 uses, including manufacturing and washing, compared to a disposable cup Material choice
Material choice - cork
- Sustainably sourced - from the ancient cork oak forests of Portugal
- Recycled – it is a by-product manufactured from recycled waste material from the wine industry
- Fit for purpose - light, antibacterial, superior thermal qualities
- Biodegradable – sustainable disposal